All Forums
 TranslatorPub.Com Support
 Feedback
 Feedback - how do you like Pub?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4 Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic Approve/Hold/Reject all posts for this Topic

haitranvn
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  15:44:57  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
As a basic member, the Pub seems not useful for me because most of jobs is for full members only.

Go to Top of Page

Stefan

240 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  02:22:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hallo Haitranvn,

many thanks for your feedback. Each day thousands of visitors are visiting TranslatorPub and are looking for good translator, interpreters or other linguists.

You can increase your efficiency certainly by becoming a full member, which will increase the potential jobs for you.

But there are also other ways to promote your service on TranslatorPub.com. To name just a few of them:
- Complete your Profile and make it as visible as possible
- Write Articles
- Submit Glossaries

Just those steps will be providing more visits to your profile, as all articles or glossaries are linked together with your private profile at TranslatorPub.com. Therefore when submitting interesting Articles, people will more likely visit your profile and get in touch with you.

Also - we have a good database of Agencies. Under the employment section of their private profiles they have stated if and how they would like to receive applications (from all linguists). Just prepare a small email and your private link to your TranslatorPub.com Profile and introduce yourself.

I do know that the beginning is always a little slow until a client base has been created, but when providing enough information and presenting yourself truly as a professional, you certainly can speed up this process.

I hope I was able to help you a little to find your way within this great industry. Feel free to let me know if I can be of any further help.
Go to Top of Page

MHA123

50 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  02:58:37  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hallo Haitranvn,
first of all welcome to TranslatorPub.com. I´m glad to see you around ;-)

Basically what Stefan just mentioned is a good start. But being a full member will open up more jobs for you, which is something you have to think about.

Getting more access to jobs will increase your potential job and client portfolio and will lead to further work later on - if the job has been done to the standards.

Basically there are several ways to get your career going.

I recognized that you are from a Asia, maybe you can contact TranslatorPub.com directly and see if they can help you to become a full part of TranslatorPub.

They are always looking for further support and are happy for that.

Other than that, my experienced showed that applying to jobs each day is essential, just keep on quoting ;-)

Go to Top of Page

chamois988
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  02:20:40  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I just recently found out about this site and am still a basic member. I'm waiting to see how much potential work (job postings) and what kind of jobs typically come through (e.g. interesting, hefty volume as opposed to birth certificates and resumes) before I decide to sign up as a full member. One thing I don't particularly like about the job notifications is that it sends me jobs for the BI-DIRECTIONAL language pair (e.g. EN<>FR), whereas I only work in one direction (as the large majority of translators do). Getting all the job notifications in the language pair direction opposite from the one I work in just clogs my Inbox.

Any way you can change that to send out notifications only for the language pair (direction) translators actually work in (as set in their profile)??

Go to Top of Page

Stefan

240 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  04:58:27  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hallo Chamois,

welcome to TranslatorPub.com - we hope you will enjoy your time here. Please always feel free to contact us if needed. I´m sure one of the TranslatorPub.com technicians will let you know some feedback for your question asap.
Go to Top of Page

blamma
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  17:53:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm still a basic member but i get a lot of job notifications. There seems to be quite a few in my language pairs but virtually all are for paying members only.

Some of the other sites have jobs become available for non-paying members after a certain amount of time, or you can only bid on a job after a certain time. It would be great if i could apply for at least SOME of the jobs here as a basic member. Otherwise I'll probably just unsubscribe.

Go to Top of Page

Stefan

240 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  05:16:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hallo Blamma, great to have you around here and welcome to TranslatorPub.com. We really appreciate your feedback and will evaluate your thoughts carefully. We will soon be coming up with some more specials for basic members and will update you within the coming weeks.
Go to Top of Page

thx84
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  04:44:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I agree with all the basic members out there. I'm not always at my computer, so sometimes I check my mailbox from my cell phone. If there were a system to filter out the jobs that require full membership, I would not need to download new mails on my phone (and pay for it) for jobs for which I cannot apply anyway...

Go to Top of Page

Sofijana
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  04:32:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Jobs like this one http://www.translatorpub.com/sections/misc/job_board_details.asp?job_id=11585 seem very suspicious :(
There are several other popular web sites for translators where one can at least get the clue of the "job description" - and decide if full membership might be a good idea.
So far, I haven't been convinced that I need to become a member, particularly after having good experience as non-paying member at some sites, and some bad experiences - as a paying member.

Go to Top of Page

Stefan

240 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  06:34:08  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Sofijana,
why is this job post suspicious in your mind? I have just visited the link and couldnt find any problem with it. The company who is looking for freelancers is among the top25 language service providers world wide - according to recent statistics...

Please let me know what you mean.
Go to Top of Page

Sofijana
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  06:59:40  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
'Cause it looks like a "bait" - some essential things are missing:
1. Name of agency - I'm not clairvoyant - I have no idea who might be posting a job - some respectful agency, potentially a long term client, or one-time private person/client
2. Job volume (for a small volume, it makes no sense to pay for a membership)
3. Field - Telecommuting - tells something, but not much.
4. Deadline - none - if you're serious, and posting a job as "Immediate", you must have some deadline or expected daily volume.

All in all, the only relevant thing to a job poster was "Full membership".

After 17+ years in this job, I learned to be careful with such job posts.

Go to Top of Page

Stefan

240 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  08:30:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Sofijana,

thanks for your clarification. But it seems you have overseen the information.
1. There is a passage about this company in the first phrases telling more about them and unrevealing their company name.
2. They are looking for partners to handle bigger amounts and clearly ask how much can be handled.
3. Field: Telecommunication. They specified: "Operations & Maintenance Manual"
4. As said before, are they looking for partners and ask for capacities.

I believe it is good to be careful, but if you have questions, just contact them and discuss with them directly.

I hope I could lighten a little bit the shadow :)
Go to Top of Page

Urban_Huang
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  03:30:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I suppose a feature to evaluate both provider and seeker shall be of some merits, after each deal is done.

Urban

Go to Top of Page

Urban_Huang
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  05:50:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
To Sofijana:

There is an email address in that post, which revealed their identity as www.translations.com. And obviously, at least to me, they are not looking for a one case translator but some reserves of linguistic capabilities. The 'immediate' is there, simply means they want translating persons off hand. Business always changes, they perchance have a client right now, under negotiation, the deadline can only be made after the exact translating capacity is counted.

As to the 'Telecommuting', it means you can apply this job no matter where you are, and communicate with them on-line, it's not a field description, but location.

It's merely my humble assumption :>

Edited by - Urban_Huang on 11/24/2008 20:48:58
Go to Top of Page

enzalo
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  06:37:56  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I've recently joined the Pub as a basic member, at least for now. I receive quite a few job notifications per day in my language pair and virtually every single one so far has been for paying members only. I do find it a bit odd as other translator sites of which I'm a paying and non-paying member do post jobs for basic members as well. Just an observation

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic Approve/Hold/Reject all posts for this Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Chris
Chris

Fundraiser

Chris

Beta

Chris

Site Sponsor

translatorpub

Return to Old
User Interface

YouTube YouTube YouTube

©TranslatorPub.com 2024 All Rights Reserved.
Mail comments and suggestions to info@translatorpub.com | Privacy Policy | Sitemap.

Paypal     Paypal
Paypal     Paypal
Paypal