TranslatorPub

TranslatorPub.com Forum

Back To TranslatorPub.Com

Forum Home | Forum Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome to TranslatorPub.Com!
 General Discussion/Chat
 Starting Out

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here.Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JulieE Posted - 02/05/2009 : 03:30:22
Hi!

I am new to the site and am hoping to get some transcription work. (It's all a bit daunting to begin with).

I understand that quotes are normally per word/line/minute, but what is the going rate, so to speak? I don't want to quote too expensive but don't want to sell myself cheap either! If anyone can give me some sort of guideline it would be appreciated!

Thanks,

JulieE

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
heykalemba Posted - 03/27/2017 : 05:22:23
A great place to start your career as a translator is this Guide on How to Become a Professional Translator: http://www.columbustranslations.co.uk/language-translator. I have put a lot of work into it but I would still love to try and improve on it. That's why please feel free to share and comment and if you'd like to suggest your favourite resources, let me know in the comments below the article so I can add them as and when they come in. Many thanks. Any questions, let me know.

Stanislav_Pokorny Posted - 03/23/2009 : 17:54:54
Hi Julie,
I think the best approach would be to visit some websites of your fellow transcriptors in your country to find out about their rates. If they don't publish them, you might want to send a few fake quote requests to learn more. That's how I had started my translation business some eight years ago.

JulieE Posted - 03/14/2009 : 12:44:46
Unfortunately I'm only working in English

Alex_H Posted - 03/01/2009 : 06:26:35
Hello JulieE,

it all depends on your language pair, complicity/type of the source/target text, deadline and whether you translate via CATs. I know that some companies would only pay you only 70% of the total if you've used translation memory aid due to repetition etc

When you’re deciding on a price you have to take into account what type of translation you're going for, if it’s quality over quantity and involves some literary skill i.e. literary translation then I would advice you to negotiate towards a higher figure.
Personally when starting out I would charge as little as £0.03 per word as I had to provide a competitive quote and needed experience. However if you’re using TM (Trados, Wordfast, DVX etc) the machine provides the translation for the most bulk of the given text. Unfortunately if you’re starting out its quite difficult to secure a good project unless you have contacts, so to establish yourself you might have to opt for a lower pay for the time being. You never know they might love your translation so much that you’ll be able to negotiate a raise for the next time around.

Best of luck!!
Eurolinguistics Posted - 02/28/2009 : 20:03:01
what is your language pair?

Chris
Chris

Fundraiser

Chris

Beta

Chris

Site Sponsor

translatorpub

Return to Old
User Interface

YouTube YouTube YouTube

©TranslatorPub.com 2024 All Rights Reserved.
Mail comments and suggestions to info@translatorpub.com | Privacy Policy | Sitemap.

Paypal     Paypal
Paypal     Paypal
Paypal